Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Take Your Child to Work Day

We just got an email at work announcing: "Take Your Child to Work Day is Thursday April 26, 2007."

Oh joy! I love that day a little, but mostly I hate it.

I love it because the feminists must be spinning in their... well some of them in their graves and the rest in their homes.

This was a day that was invented by feminists as Take Your Daughter to Work Day. They intentionally excluded sons from the festivities, because they believed sons already have the advantage in the business world. Daughters, if they weren't exposed to the business world, would end up with no other option than the oppressive drudgery of marriage and child-raising. (See my post last year in which I explored the origins and motivations of feminism.)

I love imagining the feminists' consternation as they see companies inviting boys (ugh!) to their cherished girls-only day. Sometimes, my pleasures are perverse.

But I hate this day, because it ends up being nothing more than a play day for kids at their parent's place of employment, when they would have been at school. They learn nothing useful about the working world and end up with all the same options they would have had without this special day.

Pointless.

1 comment:

janice said...

I totally agree.

The day is completely unproductive. Everyone walks from cube (or office) to cube talking with these children and by lunch time they've heard at least a dozen times, "do you like being here at work?" or "are you having fun?" or "are you helping mom with her work?"

I don't think I've ever seen a man bring his child to work. The day is a total waste.