Monday, June 04, 2007

First Day of School

Photo credit: REUTERS/Darren Whiteside

This is from today's Reuters' best pictures from the last 24 hours. The caption reads:

A first grader cries while sitting inside her classroom on the first day of school in Manila June 4, 2007. An estimated 20 million children across the Philippines headed back to school on Monday for another year. (PHILIPPINES)

It's a little early here to be thinking about the first day of school, but this brings back some memories.

When each of my kids started kindergarten, I took the morning off work to see them off to school and mark the change in their status from preschooler to schoolkid. I took them to the daycare lady's house, watched them get on their school bus, and then I ran the back way to the school to wait for the bus to arrive.

For my son, I shed tears as he and his lost-looking classmates lined up behind their teacher and then followed her into the depths of the school

For my daughter, I didn't cry, because I was so taken by the open wailing of so many of the other five-year-olds, for whom this was their first time away from their mothers. It was very sweet in a sad sort of way.

The little girl in the picture reminds me of those crying kids on their first day at school.

I bet homeschooled kids don't have days like this one.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

that is a cute picture! I don't remember having separation anxiety from my mom when I went to school. Of course, once I hit second grade, she got a job at school and we were together anyway. I DO remember getting teary eyed at college. And I only lived 15 minutes away!

Anonymous said...

My daughter came home from her first day of kindergarten looking like that picture. I met her at the bus; she said nothing -- just marched all the way home, 10 feet in front of me, got into bed, and covered up. It took all day to find out why. (The bus driver spoke sharply to her when she almost got off at the wrong stop.)