Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Trip - Almost Ready

We spent all day Monday in Abilene. The generator was fixed, so we picked up the motorhome and drove over to the truck tire place to get the new set of tires balanced. The place here in Cisco where my mom bought the tires didn't have a balancing machine big enough to do the job.

The tire shop said it would take about an hour, so we got lunch and came back an hour later, and they hadn't touched the motorhome. We waited inside the shop, watching a TV set to ESPN, for two and a half hours. I didn't know they'd be talking football this time of year.

After the tires were ready, we went to the RV dealer where my tow-dolly was waiting. The guys there helped me learn how to work the dolly to get the car on there and strapped down properly. But the lights on the dolly didn't work, so they fought with the wiring for a while and finally decided that the plug on the motorhome was bad. Lucky for us, when I had unnecessarily got my car ready to be towed (see the update at the bottom of this post), the muffler shop had given me two extension sets of wires for plugging into the motorhome. We used one set to plug the dolly into the motorhome, and we used the other set to swap the bad plug for a new one.

After 5:00, we hit the road, my car in tow on the dolly, and drove back to Cisco, without any mishaps.

Yesterday, we (mostly my mom) worked on the inside of the motorhome. One of the mechanics came over and helped her find switches and make sure the propane and the water pump and all the rest were working right. I took my car to the tire shop to get my tires balanced, and a butterfly came to visit while I was waiting.


Last night we got a rainstorm at 4 am, but I didn't notice, because I was sleeping. But this morning I could tell, because my mom's front yard is a lake again.


Cisco's ground is mostly clay, so when it rains, the low spots fill up quickly and drain slowly. And the clay makes for lousy foundations, so people here don't have basements, which is a real shame, because over half the houses don't have garages either. I don't know where people keep their boxes of Christmas decorations without a garage or a basement.

But I'm getting off the subject. Today we're going to see Cisco's big attraction (more on that later), and then we'll head over to Eastland to their Wal-Mart to stock up on the food we'll need for the trip. And then we'll load everything in the motorhome and hit the road tomorrow morning. That's the plan for right now, anyway.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

"watching a TV set to ESPN, for two and a half hours. I didn't know they'd be talking football this time of year"

You're in Texas, Skye. There is no other sport besides football. That's it. All year long. Football and more football.

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

I just hadn't realized...