Friday, March 24, 2006

Attacking The Easter Bunny

I saw this story first at Bryan Alexander's Right Thinking, but it wasn't enough to stir me up. I mean, an isolated incident in left-leaning Minnesota, where they can't handle "Happy Easter." OK, fine.

But right after that, I saw this report at WorldNetDaily, where they told the same St Paul, Minnesota, anti-Happy-Easter story. But they included more. Easter-phobia is spreading faster than the H5N1 Bird flu.

Already, many stores and malls across the U.S. are preparing for seasonal events, with some refraining from usage of terms like "the Easter Bunny," opting instead for more generic terms like "Spring Bunny," or other names avoiding the name "Easter."

One such location is the Somerset Collection, an upscale mall in Troy, Mich., serving 14 million shoppers per year. It's now publicizing an event with its "Spring Bunny" and Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh.

As WorldNetDaily previously reported, other malls have chosen alternate names to the Easter Bunny, including Baxter the Bunny, Peter Rabbit, and Garden Bunny.

Mall officials at Town Center in Boca Raton, Fla., admitted last year to caving in to concern over what could be perceived as religious promotion, and therefore made no reference to Easter.

The Spring Bunny? Give me a break!

It's like I said at Christmas, I'll be shopping for Easter candy, not Spring candy. If the store isn't celebrating Easter, I'll find one that is.

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

There are a lot of cities that will need to do some expunging, if it comes to that.