Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rainy Day

Our group gets to wear jeans to work if it rains. Fridays are always Jeans Day, but the other weekdays become special treats when the clouds cooperate.

The last couple days brought heavy mist to my area, enough to wet the ground and make the eaves of the house drip occasionally, but certainly not enough to don jeans with a clear conscience. This morning, when I took Abby outside, the grass was wet, but there was plenty of blue sky to the west. I put on a dress and headed for work.

On the way, the radio told me about thundershowers and flood warnings that were expected today. Jeans Weather, and I didn't know! I felt like the V-8 commercial: just smack myself on the forehead and say, "Wow! I coulda worn jeans!"

The first person I saw when I got off the elevator on my floor was wearing jeans. She said, "It wasn't raining at your house?" I reined in my frustration and said, "No. I'm so disappointed."

But I was more than disappointed. I was jealous. Jealous of the people who lived in the rainy spots at getting-ready-for-work time. Jealous of the people who had the good sense to check the weather report in the morning. Green-green-green with envy at my co-workers who are comfortable in their jeans and sweaters, while I sit here with pantyhose and a belt around my waist (and a dress on too--wouldn't want to give the wrong impression).

And now, as I look out the window and up the freeway in the direction where the weather comes from, it's white clouds all the way down to the trees. Clouds full of rain. And those clouds are coming this way.

I'm not sure my umbrella is going to do me much good when it's time to go home.

2 comments:

Malott said...

SkyePuppy,

Thank you for the global warming update and the girl with the hammer, but I am very pleased to learn that you feel about jeans as I do.

For the past forty-several years I've been taking off my school-clothes or work-clothes every afternoon and putting on my play-clothes which has always included jeans. I know for many, part of maturing into a man involves wearing chinos or poplin slacks when venturing into public... (my theory: this is probably wife-induced) but I've yet to make that transition.

If we ever go to a movie together, I'm confident our bums will be equally yoked.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

:o)