Friday, April 07, 2006

Build The Fence

Hugh Hewitt said last week, "Build the fence first." And while the immigration protests were continuing, Congress (the Senate, actually) tried to pass a "comprehensive" immigration bill that, in the McCain-Kennedy (ptooey) version, would put illegals on an easy track to citizenship. But the Senate leadership's attempt at getting a "better" bill was stymied, as reported today by My Way News (HT: WorldNetDaily).

So we've got a House bill calling for better border enforcement. And no Senate bill either way (as far as I can tell from ambiguous news reports). And if the Senate had passed a bill, it would have been an amnesty-like bill, heavy on rewarding illegals for their illegal behavior.

What did we elect these people for?

The only silver lining in the immigration cloud is this report from (yes!) National Public Radio (NPR) yesterday (emphasis added).

Before the [14-mile] fence [near San Diego] was built, all that separated that stretch of Mexico from California was a single strand of cable that demarcated the international border.

Back then, Border Patrol agent Jim Henry says he was overwhelmed by the stream of immigrants who crossed into the United States illegally just in that sector.

"It was an area that was out of control," Henry says. "There were over 100,000 aliens crossing through this area a year."

Today, Henry is assistant chief of the Border Patrol's San Diego sector. He says apprehensions here are down 95 percent, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year, largely because the single strand of cable marking the border was replaced by double -- and in some places, triple -- fencing.

Fences work. But they can't work if we don't build them.

The article gives equal time to the pro-illegal side.

But Claudio Smith, an attorney and border activist, says the toll has been much higher in human lives. She says the fencing has simply forced immigrants to take more dangerous routes through the mountains and scorching-hot deserts.

It is now harder to cross the border into the United States, and also more expensive. Border crossers say they pay human smugglers, or coyotes, much more than they did a decade ago.

Smith says the fence has actually created a sort of perverse and unintended consequence: It is keeping people in the United States who used to go back to Mexico.

Smith's arguments seem odd to me. Are we supposed to feel sympathetic that people are paying more money to the coyotes, in order to break our laws? I would hope that the higher prices and the more dangerous routes are causing some people to decide to stay in their own countries.

And Smith's last argument, that our fence is keeping illegals here, is as phony as this three-dollar bill I have right here in my hand. In the pre-fence days, when the border was just a cable, it sounds as though illegals went back to Mexico for a while and then crossed the border again into the US. The illegals were here long-term then, and they're here long-term now.

We need the fence along the entire southern border, so we can keep those people legal--by keeping them in their own counry.

3 comments:

Christina said...

AMEN!!

I will know that Congress is serious about immigration reform when they first propose ideas about how to fix our borders. I might be willing to listen to other ideas on how to handle those already in our country illegally when our borders are more secure. Only then.

Until then, my leaders are not listening to me and do not speak for me.

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

If I want to protect my house from burglars, should I refuse to lock my doors simply because I can't afford to replace my windows with break-proof glass? And is it an insult to the people I invite to my house when they hear me unbolt the door?

I see the fence on our southern border as the 80/20 rule. With 20% of the expense or effort we get 80% of the flood of illegals prevented.

My impression (I could be wrong) is that the illegals are flooding over our southern border, but they're only trickling over our northern border, so it makes sense to start in the south.

If they flood over the Canadian border, we build a fence there too.

I don't see it as an insult to Mexicans if we build a fence. It's a statement to illegals that we refuse to be overrun anymore. Just as President Bush made his announcement to the world on September 14, 2001, that we will no longer look the other way when we're attacked.

It looks like we're going to have to disagree on this one.

Malott said...

Charlie... my friend,

I sort of took you to task on my blog page. I hope you aren't "insulted."

As I said there, I normally agree with what you say and admire the way you say it, but on the issue of the fence I simply can't understand how it could be an insult.

You are welcome to come to Malott's Blog and defend your statement, or if you have a written post on a blog page (that I looked for but couldn't find) I'll be happy to link to it.

I'm looking forward to agreeing with you in the future.

Chris