Thursday, April 13, 2006

Looking for a Change

I went to a group interview with an airline tonight, to try to become a flight attendant. The pay is lousy. You'd have to relocate. They own you for a couple years, and then it gets better. But you get to fly on their airline for free and on other airlines for cheap. It sounded good to me.

They talked about the requirements of the job and how everything worked, and then they had each one of the interviewees stand up in front of everyone and say why she should get the job. This was in part to find out why we should get the job, but also to see how well we speak in front of a group, since that's part of what a flight attendant does.

After that, they broke us up into two smaller groups and had us discuss amongst ourselves (while they listened) on each of three different topics. Then we were sent from the room, while the two of them went over their notes and our resumes and decided who would be invited to stay for one-on-one interviews.

If our name appeared on the list, we could stay, and if we were selected, training would start May 2. If our name was not on the list, we should go home, and we would be welcome to re-apply in six months. There would be no reasons given to the ones who were sent home.

Out of about 16 applicants, four names were on the list. Mine was not one of them.

So now I have six months to try to improve what I don't know is wrong. Did my hair look too wild and unprofessional (it's curly, but not uniformly so)? Did I look like I wasn't physically fit enough (I'm probably not, since I sit at my desk all day and in the car for a couple more hours besides)? Did I say something stupid when I had the opportunity (always a possibility)?

I don't know. But I have to fix it.

May 2 sounded awfully sudden, but now I'm prepared for sudden. And I was already getting mentally prepared for the lifestyle, especially the part where you don't have much stuff, because you're never home to use it. And I had checked the airline's route map to see how close they fly to my mom and my sister in Texas and to my brother in Massachusetts and to the other people I know around the country. And also to the places I'd want to go so I could write travel articles and take stunning photos and sell them in my time off. May 2 may have been sudden, but it would have been perfect.

November 2 (or thereabouts) could be even more perfect.

No comments: