Saturday, April 01, 2006

Immigration Protests

It's Saturday. It's not a schoolday. How are the immigration protests doing today?

I googled "immigration protest san diego" since that was one of the surprise student protests in the Southern California area during the week. Most of the stories were about Friday's protests and some school closures. It just confirms, though, that students may not feel as passionately about this issue when it means they don't get to skip class.

There was one story about a planned anti-immigration protest to be held in the city of Vista, north of San Diego.

"The primary goal is to continue to bring national awareness to the blatant disregard for the rule of law" by those who hire illegal immigrants, [Jim] Gilchrist said.

Local Latino advocates said that the event smacked of racial profiling and that they would show up Saturday with a demonstration of their own.

The story of the Left: Always accuse your critics of being racist.

There was another story about a large pro-immigration protest in Los Angeles, this one drawing an estimated 100,000 people.

Elger Aloy, 26, of Riverside, a premed student, pushed a stroller with his 8-month-old son at Saturday's Los Angeles march.

"I think it's just inhumane. ... Everybody deserves the right to a better life," Aloy said of the legislation.

Mr. Aloy is right, of course. I deserve the right to a better life. And if I think I'd have a better life if I lived in someone else's fancy mansion, then I have the right to come into that person's house and live there and get my better life. And nobody should come in and tell me I can't stay, because I have my rights. And the people who want to kick me out are just racist.

No, Mr. Aloy, everybody has the right to work hard--within the law--to better his or her life. It's not the responsibility of America to give a better life to everyone who wants it.

3 comments:

Christina said...

With all the talk about rights, many on the more liberal side of the immigration argument forget one small issue...the people in question (in this case deserving of a "better life") are illegally in this country. They are not citizens and therefore they have no rights in this country.

On the other hand, because I am a law-abiding citizen, I think I have the right not to have to pay higher taxes to pay for an illegal immigrants' healthcare costs when they have to go to the ER for cold medicine. I think I have the right to want to make the borders of my country stronger and safer so that my family is safer.

What about the rights of those who are legally here? Don't we count?

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

I'm with you. It frustrates me to no end when I see Congress giving stronger weight to the "needs" of the illegals and the people who hire them than they give to our own citizens.

SkyePuppy said...

Gabriel,

To say immigration is stupid is to be incredibly uninformed and childish.

The argument I have is with illegal immigration. Our country was founded and built on immigration. It also depends on the enforcement of laws. The priority I would give to immigration-related issues in the US is:

1. Border enforcement. Keep out people who don't belong (especially terrorists).

2. Make it easier for legal immigrants to get through the process. Cut the paperwork and the bureaucratic crap that we put people through.

3. Give priority to people who want to become Americans over people who just want to work here for a while without becoming Americans.

4. Increase the number of legal immigrants allowed each year.

5. Offer a guest worker program as a last resort, but only when it has been shown that Americans truly will not do the jobs.

6. Punish employers who hire illegals or who hire guest workers as a way of undercutting the wages of Americans who are willing to do the work.

The numbers aren't set in stone, except the first.

I'm not familiar with Canada's immigration process, but I pray you and your sister will be able to find a home outside of Zimbabwe.