Monday, August 21, 2006

Pope Benedict Knows

The pope has obviously been to my work, and now he's speaking out, as reported in USA Today yesterday.

Working too hard, even for those leading the Catholic Church, is bad for the spirit, Pope Benedict XVI said Sunday as he greeted tourists at his summer residence outside Rome.

During his traditional weekly appearance to bless the faithful, Benedict quoted from writings of St. Bernard in the 12th century meant for the popes of his time on the subject of overwork.

Benedict quoted the saint as advising pontiffs to "watch out for the dangers of an excessive activity, whatever ... the job that you hold, because many jobs often lead to the 'hardening of the heart,' as well as 'suffering of the spirit, loss of intelligence.'"

My job has caused me suffering of the spirit. It's a little consolation that I'm not alone, and my group is not alone in this either. My heart has hardened too, toward the work itself and even toward the recipents of what I do.

Loss of intelligence? I wouldn't go that far, but when I'm overworked and underslept, I lose the mental acuity that I need to do my best work.

Pope Benedict is right, but what can be done?

I'll try to start taking the train to work tomorrow and see if that helps me feel more rested or calm or something to ease the suffering of spirit. It means I'll have to get up even earlier, though. Sigh!

No comments: