Thursday, August 10, 2006

She's Got the Look

I woke up this morning with "She's Got the Look" running through my head. It always reminds me of something my ex-husband told me back when we were married.

He used to work for a very small manufacturing company that was located near a large office building. My husband's company had about 18 - 20 employees, all men except the secretary.

There was a woman who worked in the big building next door, and sometimes the men would see her walking across the parking lot to work. A day would come for each of the new guys when they'd come into the office and ask, "Did you see that woman...?"

The other guys would answer, "Oh, you mean 'The Walk.'" She was the kind of woman who, with the way she walked, made men's heads swivel and then stare. It happened to all of them. It happened every time.

My husband could never explain to me just what it was about the way she walked. He wasn't a man of words--he lived in the concrete world of machinery and process. I tried asking if it was the way her hips swayed or the way she carried herself or something else, and all he could say was that he didn't know, it was just her walk.

She was one in a million. Maybe one in a billion. She's got the look...

1 comment:

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

Great idea! But first we'd have to find her. She walked that parking lot about fifteen years ago...