Sunday, March 18, 2007

Gender Neutral

While I'm on the topic of boys and girls, I might as well add this.

I've heard a promo for Dennis Prager's radio show that has Dennis telling about a man he talked to who was trying to raise his daughter "gender neutral." The man had given his daughter some trucks to play with. "She named them," Dennis said. "Boys would never do that."

On the other hand, I read an email (probably not true, but indicative of "truth") about a woman bragging to her girlfriends that she and her husband were raising their son to be gender neutral. "In fact", the woman says, "he's upstairs playing with his Barbie right now."

All the other women wanted to see this amazing sight, so they snuck upstairs and peeked into the boy's room, where he was indeed playing with his Barbie. She was naked, and he was holding her face-down, with his hand across her back. He rubbed her belly along the carpet over and over, saying, "Vrooom! Vrooom!"

3 comments:

janice said...

I have a brother and when we were little I'd play cars and army with him and the other boys on our street. I also played baseball, football and rode our bike (on the motocross path the made in the woods) with them. I had no girls to play dolls with. None of the boys would ever get caught playing barbies. In the winter my brother and I would play GI Joe and barbie camping 'cause we both had the respective RV's. But it would end up with bombing my campsite and Barbie escaping in her covette. Not alot of "girl" fun.

I knew my gender and so did the boys we played. I ended up dating and marrying on of them.

I wasn't forced by my parents to play with boy toys. I really had no chose. All 23 of my cousins are boys. I have 3 girl cousins who were much older and only took "forced' interest in me when we visited from out of town.

Let kids be the kids they are. There's no gender neutral. Only boys and girls, let them be....

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

I was always jealous of my brother for his Lincoln Logs and Lego's. He got all the cool toys!

janice said...

Ahhhh, the Lego's. When we were packing the house to move, I came across a huge tupperware storage bin of Lego's my son inherited from my mothers house. The box weighed 14 pounds. (yes I weighed it because the movers wouldn't handle boxes we packed that weighed over 25 pounds)

I ended up taking it with me in the car. Oh the memories those plastic blocks bring.

Since we moved I also came across a box of Lego tires, windows and people. I must have separated them from Chris years ago and forgot about them.

Yes the boy toys were much more fun, at least I thought so..