Tuesday, March 13, 2007

New Hope for Medical Life

After I got over being discouraged (or maybe it was before I got over it) about the long, long wait to get into the ultrasound program, I started looking for other options. My fellow "mature" students said there were programs at some of the other community colleges in the area (which are farther from home than the one I'm attending right now). But if a longer commute could get me into a job a few years sooner, then I might be willing to put up with it.

So I went online and found an accredited ultrasound program in Michigan where the entire thing is conducted online. They arrange with a hospital or clinic in your area for you to do the clinical work, and you do the academics over the internet, and you never have to go to Michigan for any of it.

Of course, it would mean paying out-of-state tuition, but the difference between that and California's in-state tuition is about $10,000 over the two years of the program. And that's only half of the difference in expected annual pay between ultrasound and the other program I would be able to get into right away if I stay here.

I haven't decided for sure yet, since I haven't finished checking out the relatively local schools. I'm leaning toward the Michigan program, but I want to let the idea percolate for a little while. Tomorrow night's Intro to Medical Occupations class is when we get the presentation of the Ultrasound program, and I'll try to find out what I can about licensing and all the rest of the information that is generic to the field.

If I decide to go with Michigan, then I'll have to take several prerequisite classes while my mom and I are on the road, so I'll be ready to start in May a year from now.

In the meantime, I've got just a few days more than a month until my last day at work. Then I'll have to scramble to get my house ready to sell (silly me, I thought I could do that while I was also working and going to school), and play it by ear if the housing market has tanked. It's exciting (the trip), and it's scary (cutting the ties to a home), but it's in God's hands, and that makes it good.

5 comments:

janice said...

I feel your excitement and nervousness over the "tie cutting." I find myself, at times, very homesick and missing my son. Even though I never really saw him when he did live with us.

I pray you have the same luck we had selling our house. If staged correctly (and the right buyer comes along) it'll be snatched up soon.

We only had 3 people look at our house and it sold in 25 days. The Sunday open house that yielded our buyer (and only visitor on that "blizzard condition" day) also featured our house on the TV open house "Gallery of Homes" which brought them out to the house. Look for a realtor that features that type of program (Howard Hanna, if available in CA.)
Good luck, and God Bless.

One question, are you going put everything in storage or have a garage sale?

SkyePuppy said...

Thanks, Janice!

I'm going to put the good stuff (my bedroom set) in storage, sell what I can (sadly, my fridge, which I love, but which will go bad if it's in storage), and either give the rest to charity or toss it in the trash. Lots of work still ahead...

Bekah said...

I am so proud of you for making this adventure and change a priority in your life!!! I'm excited for you and hope that God is really clear for you!! (I always prefer it when He leads by fire rather than a cloud.)

Anonymous said...

I tried to post a comment yesterday but it didn't go through. Are you quitting you job and selling your home to go on a road trip with your mother? I sympathize with the lack of job satisfaction in the present line of work. I wish you the best of luck on your new endeavor. I know with your resolve you will succeed.
Take care from a former co-worker.
Clay

SkyePuppy said...

Clay,

You've got it exactly right. April 16th will be my last day (expected ship date for our beloved Wells). But I won't be leaving for Texas (where my mom lives) until June.

I hope retirement's agreeing with you and that your wife's arm is finally on the mend. Let's see if you have time to get together for lunch one of these days.