Sunday, March 25, 2007

School Decisions

I've been going back and forth about what I want to do about school. I want to learn Ultrasound, but the wait to get into the local community college's program is at least 3 years, on a first-come-first-served basis, once all your prerequisites are completed. And then the program is 2 years.

That school's Cardiovascular Technology program could get me in for the Fall of 2008, which is when I want to start (that would be right after my mom and I finish our motorhome road trip). It's also a two-year program, but the first year teaches how to do EKGs and pacemaker-checking, which is not what I want to do. We wouldn't learn to do the echocardiograms (my second choice after ultrasound) until the second year. And then, there aren't as many jobs out there for echo techs as there are for sonographers, and they don't pay quite as well, and I'd really rather do ultrasound.

But I put applied for Cardiovascular Technology (we can only apply for one program), because I can't afford to put my life on hold for five years.

Meanwhile, I'm applying for the online ultrasound program in Michigan, because I looked more closely at the timeline. They have more prerequisite classes (that I can take while my mom and I are on the road) than the local program, and that makes their ultrasound program shorter.

If I go for the Cardiovascular Tech degree (and get accepted for Fall 2008), I'll be finished with school and hitting the job market June, 2010. If I go for the online ultrasound degree (and get accepted for Spring 2008), I'll be finished August, 2009.

Let's see... I can learn my preferred technology, finish sooner, have more jobs available, for better pay. Or, I can go for second-best, take longer, compete for fewer jobs, for less pay. Which would you choose?

I thought so.

The only snag would be if I don't get accepted to Michigan for next Spring. But they do it on points, not who got there first, and I think I've got a chance for a lot of points. But I'm keeping Plan B open, just in case.

6 comments:

janice said...

Question, what are the points?

Also, this all sounds so exciting Skye. Travel, school, new career. Nothing new comes without risk or change.

Have you started to clear out your house and ready it for sale?

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

The school gives points for all sorts of things. You get 4 pts for an 'A' in Anatomy & Physiology, 3 pts for a 'B', and more points for grades in the other prerequisite classes, plus for other criteria (I can't find the points page anymore on their website). So I have to shoot for 'A's.

My refrigerator is clear of magnets, and I donated a lot of clothes to charity, but I'm not going to have time to do the real house-prep until I quit my job.

I think I still have relatives in Cleveland, so my mom & I may be up your way next spring. I'd love to meet you for coffee or something...

janice said...

I asked my son this morning, after I posted my comment, and he told me about the point "system." He's planning to go back to school for his RN degree.

Meeting you and Mom would great, I make a fantastic pot of joe. But, you'll have to travel south a bit, I'm outside Columbus now.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Sorry, my Ohio geography is less than ideal. We can stop in Columbus, because I think you're worth it. :o)

My mom can have the cup of joe (I never acquired the taste--life would be easier if I had), and maybe you'll find out you boil a mean cup of hot water for tea...

janice said...

Tea for you, coffee for Mom. You got it. If you're like my Mom you'd prefer your tea water boiled, not microwaved. Am I correct?

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Yes, you're right. Microwave-boiled water makes the tea foamy, and that's not a good thing.

I'm glad your son will be going for his RN. He'll be thankful down the road that he took the time early in life to expand his career options.