Saturday, March 17, 2007

My Little Dog Abby


I had to have Abby put to sleep last night. It was 12:30 am when I signed the papers, so technically, it was today.

Her health was not good, and when I got home from work about 10:30 last night, she was in obvious respiratory distress. She had soiled herself, so I gave her a bath, dried her off as well as I could, and took her to the emergency vet.

They took x-rays, and the vet showed me side-by-side comparisons to the ones they took back in November. Then, her heart was only slightly enlarged, and her lungs were clear. Last night, her heart was enormous, and she had lots of fluid in her lungs. The vet said they could try to get her back out of her congestive heart failure condition, but there were no guarantees, and we could end up right back where we were last night.

I told the vet that Abby's not a fighter. She's just a little sweetie pie.

They had her in a little oxygen incubator, and I got to take her out to say goodbye. I scratched her ears and told her all her favorite things for me to say, but I just couldn't bear to keep hearing the sound of her breathing the tiniest of breaths. So I took her back to the oxygen, and one of the assistants took me up front to take care of the paperwork. The assistant was crying too.

Abby never really made much noise, but the house is so quiet now. I see her empty bed and her dog food dish with food she hadn't eaten, and I know I'll need to do something with all her things. But not right now.

10 comments:

All_I_Can_Stands said...

SkyePuppy,

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put my beagle Molly down last summer. My other beagle Mocha, my wife and I are just now beginning to get over it. It made it harder on us that Mocha took it so hard. She has not been the same until just recently. Wishing you well during this time.

AICS

SkyePuppy said...

AICS,

Abby was the only dog I've owned (I was married for 18 years to a man who hated dogs), so losing her is new for me. I don't imagine it gets any easier the next time.

I'm glad your family is recovering from losing Molly, and I'm especially glad Mocha is. People, at least, can understand what's happening even when it hurts, but pets just have to go through it.

Thanks.

janice said...

Oh Skye, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your pain, as I too care for a K9 who's a part of our family.

When you're ready, please go to the local APL and look for a new compinion. Not to replace Abby, to replace the pain you now have, with a new little creature who needs you to rescue them and take care of.

I'm really, really sorry Skye. You're in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I affirm you for making a courageous but painful decision, and I imagine anyone who has lost a beloved pet feels some of your pain - I know I do. Isn't it wonderful to think how these beasts that God has given us to love and care for can bring us such joy? And so we do miss them so very much when they're gone.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Thanks. I won't be ready for another dog for quite a while, mostly for practical reasons with all the upheaval coming up in my life.

I got Abby 3-1/2 years ago from the Humane Society, and even then she wouldn't stand up for herself. There was a big puppy chewing on her, and Abby just tried to stay out of the way, without fighting back.

I'd go back there again, if I wanted to get a non-puppy (puppies are in short supply there).

SkyePuppy said...

Jan,

Yes, God is good. Abby was the right dog for me at the right time. Not too energetic or demanding. Content to be near us when we were home and to take a long nap when we weren't.

But I keep forgetting she's not here...

Bekah said...

Oh I'm so sorry! :( I have tears in my eyes just reading about it. What a precious dog - I love the picture. Sending a hug your way...

Malott said...

B,

I'm really sorry.

I'd like to think that Abby spent her last hours thinking she'd just sleep... Knowing that she'd felt bad before, and always felt better in the morning...

Dogs are tough - even the little ones. I'm sure she suffered a lot less than you did.

One thing for sure... She hit the lottery 3 1/2 years ago. She was lucky to have you. And even though you put that little dress on her, you were still a good Mom, and she was a very lucky little dog.

Christina said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Abby's passing. Despite the grief I have given to all dog owners on my blog, I know that she was still a member of your family and that you loved her. Plus, I'll even admit that, for a dog, she looked pretty sweet and cute.

I hope that you can soon find peace knowing that she is not in any pain any more.

Christina

SkyePuppy said...

Thank you all for your comments. You're so kind.

I didn't post this for sympathy, but so you would know what happened. What I didn't want was later on, when I mentioned my mom and me and my mom's little dog Scooter going on our trip, that someone would ask about Abby. Then I'd have to say, "Oh, she died back in March," or something like that, and it would be so callous and disrespectful of Abby and all of you blogger buddies.

Still, it warms my heart just the same.


Bekah,

I thought about posting a photo of Abby taking a nap with her rear-end up on top of a roll of 2-inch tape that someone left on the chair (too funny!), but I decided the teddy bear was a much better send-off for her.


Charlie,

Yes, my heart is lifted.


Christina,

As a cat-lover, you're more than gracious in saying Abby was cute. Thanks.


My dear Chris,

I'll have to find a good home for Abby's fancy Christmas dress...