Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Birthday Presents



These are the presents my kids gave me for my birthday yesterday (click on it to enlarge). My daughter gave me the photos (she conspired with my mom for that and got some help from her brother), and my son gave me the books.

The photos include some I don't remember, even though I've looked through my mom's photo albums a million times. The third row down, third picture from the left is the three of us kids with my dad's dad in front of his house, and Grandpa has his perpetual cigar in his mouth. He had a permanent dent in his lower lip from keeping a cigar there all the time.

The bottom row, second from the right is the three of us in the bathtub (I remember that one). My mom wanted to use that picture for their Christmas cards that year (looks like 1960), but my dad put his foot down.

Anyway, I love it!

The bigger book is the National Geographic Road Atlas: RV & Camping Edition, for the US & Canada. Really cool. It even lists, for the town of Hartland, New Brunswick, the world's longest covered bridge, which my mom and I intend to drive across (with my car, not the motorhome) in the fall. Hopefully before the snow comes to Eastern Canada.

The other book is The Spirit of 'Seventy-Six: The Story of the American Revolution as Told by Participants, published 1967. My son got it at the community college during one of those special events where different individuals set up booths and sell stuff. It has chapters like, "The Fierce Spirit of Resistance," "The Canadian Campaigns," and, "Spies, Treason, and Mutiny." Looks really good. I'll have to read it when I get some time, but that won't be for a while.

Thank you, son and daughter of mine! I love you!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi --

Ran across your blog when looking for special events info. Saw the photo album and it reminded me of a gift my daughter gave me. How special! You'll keep it forever that's for sure.

Ed

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your daughter being able to round up all those photos without you knowing! And I have a feeling you will be able to do all the reading you want during your year on the road -- nights unfettered with errands, last minute emergencies, and late night take-home work.

SkyePuppy said...

CG,

I'm so easy to fool, it's sad.

At least for the summer, I'll have lots of studying to do. I'll be taking 7 units of online classes (I have all my textbooks already). They start May 14. Then in the fall, it will be 6 units. Then I'll be free to read for fun until May next year.

Anonymous said...

I read about your visit to Cisco, Tx. and the Folklife Festival. I lived in Cisco from l983 to l992 and still miss it - we now live in NC. I enjoyed your pictures - of course, it made me homesick for Cisco. Who is your sister that lives there? I was just wondering if maybe I know her.

Ginny