Monday, May 14, 2007

Tales from the Tempest

My online classes at the Michigan college started today. There's a 1-unit class, Wellness, that I need to take if I do the Michigan Ultrasound program, because I've never taken a PE class at the college level, and they require it for an Associate's degree.

We have to do a Personal Challenge project in some area of wellness (exercise, weight control, nutrition, stress management, addiction to dangerous behaviors, relationships, sense of purpose). My weight is under control, I'm eating right, I've already quit my stressful job (though getting ready for the trip has its own stress), my only addiction is tea, I have wonderful friends (more on that in a bit) and will be renewing my relationship with my mom and sister, and I have a sense of purpose (that would be Jesus and living for Him).

So that leaves exercise, and scrubbing walls won't last long enough get me through the three weeks of the project. I think I'll get a pedometer and see if I can get the numbers high enough on that thing, once I figure out how to work it.

Then there's Medical Terminology. I looked at the syllabus this morning, and the kicker is that the final exam for that class has to be proctored by a college employee or librarian or similar person. I'll have to make arrangements for proctoring by the sixth or seventh week of class and get the instructor's approval. It looks like I'll have to take the test in early August, so I think my mom and I will just have to be sure to arrive in Kalispell a little early for her high school reunion, I'll take my test, maybe at the community college, and then we can go extra times to Glacier National Park and visit with friends until reunion time.

The third class is Introduction to Diagnostic Imaging, which gives a broad theoretical view of the radiological disciplines as well as sonography. I'll have to write a term paper about some new advance in imaging technology.

Meanwhile, my finals for Anatomy & Physiology are next week. I have two more lectures, one more lab, and then the lecture exam is next Tuesday and the lab exam is next Thursday. I started writing up my lecture flashcards on Saturday, when I was waiting for the Toyota's oil change. I have to take the car back for the 120,000-mile service Wednesday, plus have them check the wheel bearings, because something related to wheel speed is making noise. I should get LOTS of flashcards made. And reviewed.

I set up a spreadsheet with my grades on it and then calculated my final grade based on various final test scores. Because of all the extra credit they allow, if I get a 'C' on each of the last two tests, I'd still have a solid 'A' in the class. If I get 50% on each test, I'd still squeak out an 'A' in the class. So I don't have to sweat it to the point of actual sweat.

Then on the house front, I finally broke down in Sunday School a week ago and expressed a need for help (very hard for me to do). One of the ladies in class said she'd love to come and help me scrub walls, and then during the week another one said she was eager to join the party. The walls needed more than the usual handprints at corners and door frames. Abby had left a grayish stripe around the bottom of all the accessible walls, where she'd rub her sides when her skin allergies bothered her.

My friends came over this past Friday and then again this morning. With their help, we scrubbed all the living room and family room walls, and most of the dining room (there are a few things in the way there), and also all the kitchen cabinets and the miniblinds that don't need to be replaced. The house looks so bright! Plus today, one of them brought her husband, who weed-eatered my yard for me (which gets me out of trouble with the association, which had left another "Mow your weeds, or else..." notice for me a week ago).

One of my friends recommended a handyman, and I called him, but he was driving, so I'm waiting for him to call back when he gets home. He wants to come tomorrow bright and early, and I like that idea just fine. I have a list of some little (fix a few screens, rebalance the ceiling fans, re-caulk the tub) and some bigger (replace the shower door) items for him to take care of. It will be a relief to have all that done.

That still leaves touch-up painting, and when the painting is done, replacing the kitchen faucet. And going through my books to decide which ones to part with, which ones to store, and which ones to bring along on the trip. Really, the same goes for all my stuff: Keep or Toss/Give to Charity.

I'm using the Tornado method of deciding, inspired by Bekah's sister, who lost nearly everything in the Greensburg tornado. It goes this way: If I lost this in a tornado, would my heart be broken? If not, it's outta here. Of course, I'll try not to take it too far by tossing handy stuff like paper supplies and useful kitchen gadgets.

But that means all the furniture except my bedroom set needs to be sold or donated. Within three weeks. While I'm studying for Anatomy exams and starting new classes and trying to get the house prettied up enough ("smoke and mirrors") to sell.

As far as getting all my stuff for the trip out to Texas with me, I looked into a one-way U-Haul truck rental that could tow my car (which still needs to get the towbar attached), and they want over $2,000! No, thanks. But my friend pointed out that I can box up the softer things, like my winter clothes, and mail the boxes to Texas, and even with the increase in postal rates, it would cost way less than $2,000. Then I can just drive the car with the things that will fit in it. Good plan!

So little time. So much still to do.

No comments: