Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The New Me

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while may have noticed that my "About Me" box at the top right corner almost never changes.

I don't remember what it said when I first started blogging and my only readers were my mom, my sister, and a couple people at work. But then there was that scandal a long time ago (long enough that I can't remember the details) when some blogger was accepting payment from some company to influence what he said on his blog.

So I changed my statement on "About Me" to say that I never accepted any money to influence what I wrote (as if anybody would offer...). That way, you could be comforted by the notion that no outside individual or organization was pushing me to write about Lizard Spit or Exploding Toads or How to Escape from Quicksand. No, I decide what to blog about all by myself, sometimes to my own chagrin.

Well, the time has come to change "About Me" again, to reflect the coming changes in my life and my blog. I'll have to change it again when I leave, to be in the present tense rather than the future tense.

I've remained mostly anonymous all this time (though if you tried really, really hard and with the right combination of search keywords, you'd be able to find out my real name anyway), because I wanted to protect myself and my pretty young women (my daughter and her friend who lived with us) from angry, blog-reading marauders.

Well, the girls have moved out, most of my angry blog-readers live in Australia (not you, Jacob--you're not that angry), and I'm about to hit the road. So anonymity is less important now.

I've had to get a new email address to take with me on the road, since my current (unpublished) email is tied to the cable company from whom I will soon part ways. So, I've added my email address (in secret code) to "About Me" as well, and when I reply to you, my real name (gasp!) will show up on the email. But I'm still going to keep my real name hush-hush on my blog, because I've grown fond of being SkyePuppy.

No comments: