Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Craig's List

I've posted a few of the things I need to sell on Craig's List. The piano, the writing desk, the exercise bike. And then I got some responses in my email, but there's something not quite right about them.

Are there people out there (Jacob, maybe you know--not that you DO it, but you might know about it) who send responses to people's ads as a joke? Do they do it to make the sellers excited and think it's going to sell, when they had no intention of buying it, and they're laughing their heads off over their beer/tequila/pot?

Last night I posted the piano and got this email:

Hi
I saw your instrument and i will love to buy at your price.
Is it still available?
Reply asap
Tim


I replied that it's still available and when would he like to look at it and gave him my phone number. No response. Not by email or by phone.

Tonight I posted the writing desk and got an almost immediate response:

Hi;

I really like your desk, I like Bombay furniture. I am willing to give you your asking price if you still have it.

Thank you;

Jeb


I did the same kind of reply right away. Nothing in response.

Is this some new joke that nobody told me about? Is this the modern equivalent of stupid kids calling random phone numbers and asking for Prince Albert in a can?

I may be clueless a lot of the time, but I don't enjoy being that way. Somebody help me out here...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had the same kind of thing happen to me when I tried to sell my son's PS2 on eBay. It is a spin off of the 'Nigerian' banking scam where they either try to get you to send the item or garner personal information (ie banking) from you. Be very careful of any information that you give out.

John

SkyePuppy said...

John,

Thanks!

My good buddy Tim replied this morning, right in line with what you said:

i will not be able to come and see the instrument,but if its ok with you, i ll like to see some pix.
also, i will be paying by money order,this because am not around now but i wont want this to pass me by,so if its ok with you,
just send me your name and address so i can mail payment to you immediately.
pls get back to me asap. thanks
Tim


So I told him I can't ship the piano to him, but if he decides he wants to come and look at it, to let me know. Such a nice man... :ob~~~