Wednesday, February 13, 2008

HEMA Stores Website

Oh, this is too cool!

I've been catching up on my email and stuff this morning, and a former co-worker sent this (one of those perpetual Forwards).

HEMA is a Dutch department store. The first store opened on Nov. 4, 1926, in Amsterdam. Now, there are 150 stores all over the Netherlands, and there are stores in Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany.

In June of last year, HEMA was sold to the British investment company Lion Capital.

Take a look at HEMA's product page. It's in Dutch and you can't order anything (unless you understand Dutch), but just wait a couple of seconds and watch what happens...the company has a sense of humor and a great computer programmer:

HEMA - online winkelen

And if that's not enough, I loved reading some of the Dutch words for their products:

Damespanty by a mannequin leg with a stocking on it.
Rugbybal by what looks to me like an American-style football
Handzeep by some hand soap
Bekers by some drinking cups
Fluitketel by a tea kettle (it whistled nicely--is a non-whistling kettle just a ketel?)

And those words that need no translation:

Pan
Blender
Confetti
Ghettoblaster

Go back and watch the website, if you skipped that part.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I know NOTHING about computer/website design, but I know that was cool. Very creative.

My personal favorite was the "ghettoblaster". I'm beginning to think that we should just start calling all American radios that too...

Welcome back, by the way!

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

My personal favorite was the "ghettoblaster".

Same here. It's amazing with how much other countries hate America that they adopt so much of our culture.

Malott said...

Way cool.