Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Top Ten Painful Bites or Stings


ABC News reported yesterday on the most painful bites and stings.

Certain members of the animal kingdom have a talent for torture, as those of us who have been unlucky enough to experience it can attest.

Maybe you're swimming at the beach, hiking in the wilderness, or just cleaning out your basement — suddenly you're on fire, dancing or doubled over, staring at an almost invisible wound and wondering how something so small could hurt so horribly.

We have compiled a Top 10 list (in no particular order) of some of the most excruciating stings and bites nature has on offer. Some are potentially deadly, some are not. All are absolutely worth avoiding.


The first picture they have in the article is the Tarantula Hawk Wasp, a horrid creature I used to see when I was a kid and we walked through the canyon to get to our junior high school. Two inches long, black body (irridescent purple when the sun caught it right), with red-orange wings, the sight of them would throw me into paralyzing fear. Somebody said they were Tarantula Wasps and were called that because they eat tarantulas (which would have made me happy). I wasn't so sure, though, because when they landed and started walking, they walked like a tarantula.

The article tells the truth. It describes each of the Top Ten on a separate page, and after reading about the Tarantula Hawk Wasp, I am truly grateful that I never learned firsthand about their sting. Read them all and... well, I won't say "enjoy." Just be glad there's so much pain out there that you (hopefully) have not experienced.

I have not been stung or bitten by any of them.

No comments: