Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Have A Cold

Hooray!

Normally I wouldn't be so thrilled, but my throat has been sore all day, and I was afraid I had caught some pestilent strep bug that was going to make me feverish and send me to the doctor's office. And I don't want to do that because it costs money and also because my doctor (who I really liked) has moved his practice down to Encinitas or Solana Beach or somewhere away from here. And the medical group up here hasn't replaced him, so they keep shuffling his patients wherever, and I just don't want to go through all that shuffling when I have a fever and feel miserably sorry for myself.

But I just noticed that my nose is getting stuffy, and that means that my sore throat was the usual precursor of a cold and not Strep Throat after all. So I popped a 24-hour Sudafed (legally acquired from the pharmacy with appropriate signatures and gun-purchase-like background checks), and the peppermint tea is steeping even as we speak.

I've got at least one more box of Kleenex ready and some cough syrup on hand in case my cold goes into my chest as well. I feel armed and dangerous and ready for the virus.

And I've got my daughter to thank for sharing her cold with me. Isn't she sweet...?

8 comments:

Malott said...

A tip from your Uncle Chris....

Buy an arm roast. Boil it with lots of onions and garlic. Add 1/2 green pepper and lots of salt and pepper. After it has boiled for an hour, start sipping the broth. Use a large bowl and spoon so you don't make so many trips to the stove.

Keep adding water until the broth starts to taste weak. Then add some tomato juice and start sipping the broth again.

Then it's time to eat the beef with lot of horseradish.

Get well.

janice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
janice said...

I have no words of "illness" wisdom, but I too have have a cold.

Mine started with a sore throat and then went to my head. I've been going through tissue (and paper towels) like crazy.

I think you only have a week to go, hope you feel better.

Bekah said...

Well I am very sorry to hear that you are not feeling well! :(

If you decide to make the roast, call me...it's my favorite!

Yesterday I thought I was getting the flu that my whole office has...but I just don't have time, so I decided I would mentally talk myself out of it. So far I haven't been aching/chilling/hot today...so maybe it worked?

I've never been able to talk myself out of a cold though, so I can't give you pointers on that.

SkyePuppy said...

Thank you all for your well wishes. I really am happy that it's not Strep, so the cold is no big deal.

Chris,

Beef soup? I thought it was supposed to be chicken soup...

Christina said...

I will be of absolutely no help here as I am still recovering from the flu/nasty cold. ( I feel MUCH better, but still coughing...) I can only commiserate and hope that you have a speedy recovery.

Mucinex does help a little, by the way. I don't recommend the "cup of tea-type" Theraflu. YUCK!

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

My daughter just told me last night that her dad gave her some Theraflu and said, "Here. Drink this." She tried it and said it was nasty and didn't want to drink it. So her dad tasted it and then threw the "tea" down the drain and the rest of the package in the trash.

Two independent recommendations against Theraflu (you and them) are enough to convince me not to ever try it.

I'm glad you're on the mend.

Tsofah said...

You are right, Skyepuppy, it IS chicken soup! Antibiotic properties and all that, you know. But, the beef has iron and sterio....oops, sorry. If you put "lots of onions and garlic" in it (as Chris suggested), THAT will probably scare many of the viruses away. (Or at least men asking you out on dates, as well as vampires...lol).

At the least, it sounds like good comfort food, doesn't it?

Will be praying you get well very soon.